PDA

View Full Version : COSTCO

traceya89
11-08-2004, 02:42
Has any one been to Costco on OBT? It is hugh in comparison to the Costco in Gateshead. Always visiting Costco over here in the hope I can buy more American goodies. Hoping they will stock TGI or Hooters frozen foods! At least I can get Hershey bars in Bulk!! Shame the prices are typically English and not American low prices!

blott
11-08-2004, 03:07
Yes, it sells similar things to the ones in the UK and you can use your card in both countries. We found the prices to be roughly £s to $s in the US version.

wilfy
11-08-2004, 16:22
We made a visit to the obt version last week, and came away empty handed !. This is a first i do assure all. They didn't have anything that really leapt out as a bargain to take home. Well, that would easily fit in a suitcase!

We also took a look at BJ's (osceola parkway + john young) and Sam's Club (192) to see if these warehouse clubs had anything different. They are all about the same, so we'll stick with Costco. However, the layout of Sam's Club on the 192 was nearly identical to the watford version of costco, so i started musing if walmart own's costco?

nikkikk
11-08-2004, 16:34
We were in Coscto and Sam's Club during our recent visit (July) and would suggest that it is highly possible that Costco and Walmart are connected - they are just too 'the same'. Found Sam's Club better than Costco with lots of bargains. Particular favourites were things like gigantic Dove Shampoo's and Conditioners with pump action that were a fraction of what they would cost here - if you could buy them in that size!

We use our UK Costco card and joined Sam's Club with just ID and a one off payment of $35. Excellent for villa supplies such as excellent quality bed linen, towels etc as well as great stocks of food. Highly recommended.

Nikki KK

traceya89
11-08-2004, 23:51
When i was in North Carolina a few years ago my American friend took me to Sam's Club which is owned by Walmart. It was before I discovered Costco, so when I found out about Costco I was aware of the similiarities but i am unsure if they are owned by the same company.

when i was in florida last year we went to Sam's club. I paid my membership but got a refund for it after we left the store as I knew we were nearing the end of our holiday and would not get our moneys worth.

p.s Nikki where and what is BJs. cant remember seeing any big stores on the OBT?

wilfy
12-08-2004, 00:20
Tracey,
BJ's is another warehouse club, it's next to the big lowes store on the corner of Osceola Parkway + John Young Parkway

pieman790
23-08-2004, 13:15
We used costco in May 2004. It all depends on what you what at the time. Did find that they sell more in the way of fod stuff than they do in the UK. However we did buy a fair amont of items for our villa and will use Costco again. They also sell Pizza, hot dogs, salads etc at the cafe very similar to the one in the UK. Great for a lunch and cheap as well. They dont accept credit cards other the American Express but do accept switch/Maestro if your card is a chip and pin.

porky
23-08-2004, 16:06
I've put off joining Costcos because they only accept American Express. I found this very starnge as this used to be a card that a lot of companies didn't take. Now I know I can use my chiop and pin I shall have to go off and join. Thanks for the info pieman.

Right, question, where abouts on OBTis Costco's?

Jacqui

wilfy
23-08-2004, 16:28
Jacqui,
as you go north on obt, it's after the junction with the 417 toll road, on your left. If you hit the junction with the beeline, you've gone too far :).

They do take cash and travellers cheques.

blott
23-08-2004, 16:41
Just to confuse everyone, Costco in the UK don't accept AmEx, Visa or MasterCard but bank debit cards, ie Switch or cash or cheques up to the cheque card limit!

amy
23-08-2004, 18:41
Right, question, where abouts on OBTis Costco's?

Jacqui
[/quote]
As you travel down OBT from the 192 it is on your left just prior to the Floria Mall.

Magical Dreams
23-08-2004, 19:01
Costco is another thing we have to add to our "Must do List" on closing!!

Another excuse to spend money!!

amy
23-08-2004, 19:06
I know what yoy mean Andy by another excuse to spend money, we go a few times a month for just a look round and to buy nothing n particular and end up spending over £100 each trip.[}:)]

Magical Dreams
23-08-2004, 19:11
Tell me about it!! We usually end up doing the same in Makro in Leeds!!

Go for nothing come back with allsorts and not the Bassetts ones either!

carrie
23-08-2004, 21:05
hi there, i apologise in advance because i always seem to ask the most stupid of questions but what is "Chip and Pin" on the switch card.
mine says maestro on the bank does that mean i can use it to withdraw cash and to buy in shops?

LOL
Carrie

wilfy
23-08-2004, 22:50
Carrie,
have you not been bombarded with 'chip & pin' info from your bank? we have :(

Briefly, as signatures are easily forged, (and most counter staff only take a cursory glance at them anyway!). Instead of signing for a purchase, you use a 4 digit security pin code instead, on a key entry gizmo at the point of sale terminal.

blott
23-08-2004, 22:51
Chip and pin is something being introduced slowly to counter card fraud. It's just a normal card but has a computer chip in it and, instead of signing for purchases, you enter a PIN number into the card machine in the stores.

Are you meaning in the UK or Florida to withdraw cash or buy in shops? If you mean in the UK, you should be able to use this where you see the Switch or Maestro sign. If you mean in Florida, some bank machines accept cards with the Cirrus sign on them. Best ask your bank about it as it can get confusing!

Tracey K
24-08-2004, 02:09
Whilst you are talking about silly questions I have one - what exactly is Costco and Sams Club etc? It appears that they may be discount places but can anyone join? DO you need to be able to prove anything (someone refered to Makro and I know you need a business account and other proof to be able to join that)

To answer Carries question - check with your bank when your card will be chip n pinned - some banks are doing it when they issue your new card - other banks are doing it as a one off excercise. Once you are in receipt of a chipped card they will want you to use your pin number all the time. Imagine how many people will not have their number and how long the queues in supermarkets will be!!!

wilfy
24-08-2004, 13:02
Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's are all warehouse clubs. Think of them as a supermarket where most things are sold in bulk. And in order to keep prices down, a membership is charged. In the the US if you have an id, you can join. We inquired at both Sam's club + BJ's and they will take a UK photo driving license as id, and a fee of around $35.

Costco in the uk is slightly different. When we joined it was because Sarah worked for a local education authority. This was to get around some specific UK legislation (or so i was told). I'm not sure what the criteria for joining is now.

amy
24-08-2004, 19:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wilfy
Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's are all warehouse clubs. Think of them as a supermarket where most things are sold in bulk. And in order to keep prices down, a membership is charged. In the the US if you have an id, you can join. We inquired at both Sam's club + BJ's and they will take a UK photo driving license as id, and a fee of around $35.

Costco in the uk is slightly different. When we joined it was because Sarah worked for a local education authority. This was to get around some specific UK legislation (or so i was told). I'm not sure what the criteria for joining is now.
[/quote]
To join in the UK you need to be self employed and have proof of the fact or fall into a list of certain employments they have listed in store,which is quite ranging.If you are unsure you want to join you can walk round on a guest pass which you get at the membership desk. this allows you to look but not buy.

Tracey K
25-08-2004, 00:28
Thanks - it may be worth looking into when I am next in the USA - never one to miss a shop!

carrie
25-08-2004, 02:34
Thanks again guys for your answers. i have never had to use this method in my supermarket i normally just sign but i did check with my bank and as DD said i will get this when my new card is issued.
I just wanted to use it as back up to withdraw cash in the US, it is maestro so i gather i can use it in the cashpoint machines over there.
Thanks again
Carie

donnapit
30-08-2004, 01:39
Having priced up a number of items in Sams against Wal Mart, I've actually found that a lot are cheaper in Wal Mart!

I'm not saying you can't find bargains in there, but be careful and do your homework first.