PDA

View Full Version : Double Tree Resort Maingate

lesley15
08-08-2004, 20:12
Has anyone stayed here? I have read about a dozen reports, most of which are good but 2 are poor saying it is shabby - we are thinking of booking for next summer (and have to book soon to get the discount)- opinions would be appreciated - thanks :)

08-08-2004, 22:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lesley15
Has anyone stayed here? I have read about a dozen reports, most of which are good but 2 are poor saying it is shabby - we are thinking of booking for next summer (and have to book soon to get the discount)- opinions would be appreciated - thanks :)
[/quote]

I am out in Forida and drove past yesterday, if it was me I would reconsider and go for a villa.

Lucy

Claire M
08-08-2004, 23:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
[/quote]

I am out in Forida and drove past yesterday, if it was me I would reconsider and go for a villa.

Lucy
[/quote]

I dont know how you can say reconsider as you can only see the sign from the road!

The Doubletree Guest suites is a resort style hotel, which consists of townhomes. We stayed there in 1999 and found the accommodation very good. It had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and living area. There was a communal pool, bar and mini mart, the entrance is also gated. Obviously that was 5 years ago, so it may have dated by now.

For the price I paid back then for 3 off us, I could of stayed in a villa with private pool. Never mind you live and learn[msnsmile].

Claire

Nostromo
09-08-2004, 01:47
We have stayed at several Double Tree Hotels around the US (but not any in Florida) and generally found them to be clean and comfortable. Perhaps not the best choice for a longish stay that an Orlando trip would require, but usually good for a night or two.

09-08-2004, 05:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Claire M
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
[/quote]

Lucy
[/quote]

I dont know how you can say reconsider as you can only see the sign from the road!

The Doubletree Guest suites is a resort style hotel, which consists of townhomes. We stayed there in 1999 and found the accommodation very good. It had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and living area. There was a communal pool, bar and mini mart, the entrance is also gated. Obviously that was 5 years ago, so it may have dated by now.

For the price I paid back then for 3 off us, I could of stayed in a villa with private pool. Never mind you live and learn[msnsmile].

Claire

[/quote]

Exactly my point!! I personally would reconsider and go for a villa!! How do you know I made that decision from only seeing the sign from the road??? I was actually trying to be VERY diplomatic!!

Lucy

Claire M
09-08-2004, 11:53
[/quote]

Exactly my point!! I personally would reconsider and go for a villa!! How do you know I made that decision from only seeing the sign from the road??? I was actually trying to be VERY diplomatic!!

Lucy
[/quote]

Did you just see the sign?

lesley15
09-08-2004, 21:47
Hmmm we are reconsidering anyway due to finding what looks like better accomodation for a similar price - problem with a villa is that there are only 4 of us going and most are for 6+ people so we'd be paying supplements, also we HAVE to book through a travel agent not privately as we have trouble getting insurance for my husband due to a medical condition.
We're now looking at Bahama Bay & Windsor Palms.

Claire M
09-08-2004, 22:18
Lesley

Windsor Palms is a very nice community located approx. 3 miles from Disney. There is a communal pool, games room, cinema etc. A good choice, I am not sure about Bahama Bay as I have never been there!

Claire

lesley15
13-08-2004, 23:42
Update - we couldn't book Windsor Palms because although it was in the brochure apparently Thomson are still in negotiations with them - but by making several phone calls and playing one travel agents off against another we got into Bahama Bay (there were only 2 villas left!) and saved ourselves £150 and got an intermediate car instead of standard as well as gold insurance (not for hubby though, that's another story!)

14-08-2004, 00:36
Hmmm we are reconsidering anyway due to finding what looks like better accomodation for a similar price - problem with a villa is that there are only 4 of us going and most are for 6+ people so we'd be paying supplements, also we HAVE to book through a travel agent not privately as we have trouble getting insurance for my husband due to a medical condition.
We're now looking at Bahama Bay & Windsor Palms.
[/quote]

If you book direct with owner you are charged per villa per week not per person and normally its cheaper than a hotel.

Lucy

14-08-2004, 00:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Claire M
[/quote]

Lucy
[/quote]

Did you just see the sign?
[/quote]

NO! I DID NOT JUST SEE THE SIGN!!!!!!

lesley15
14-08-2004, 01:38
We WILL be in a villa now - but we went through the travel agents instead of booking direct because we added up the cost of flights, car hire and villa rental individually and it WAS cheaper to go through a travel agents surprisingly!

14-08-2004, 02:15
We WILL be in a villa now - but we went through the travel agents instead of booking direct because we added up the cost of flights, car hire and villa rental individually and it WAS cheaper to go through a travel agents surprisingly!
[/quote]

Great News!

ctgirlscout
16-08-2004, 06:53
Just wondering--is Doubletree some kind of timeshare? My last guests were a last minute booking. She called me last Monday morning and was in my villa by noon (She also was there for Charley, but that's another story!) She told me she was staying at Doubletree, but told my MC it was a timeshare. She only stayed at Doubletree one night and was not at all happy with it.

Genie
16-08-2004, 18:54
Normaly the people who own villas can recomend flights and car hire and there are insurance co's who offer insurance even if it is for folk with a certain illnes ( my father in law has angina ! ) and it usually works out cheaper than travel agents, having done both, and at least here on OV all the villa's are genuine and have been verified.

heathercobbett
27-08-2004, 11:31
We have stayed in Double Tree and it was very nice but did not compare with the space and facilities of a villa.
Correct me if I am wrong,but is it not the less nice villas that are offered through tour companies?

I bet none of the villas on the O.V. sites are available through tour operators.

And,yes, it is true that seasoned owners can point you in the direction of great deals for flights car-hire theme tickets and insurance.

Check the links at the top of the page;I have just checked car-hire for sep. with O.V. and we will NEVER have paid so little and it is fully inclusive.

I have been checking flights for next month and on one tor company site it was buried away that the inclusive car did not have insurance included;nowhere did it sat how much that would be.

The last time we took a (free car" deal the insurance cost us more than if we had booked the car independantly

Anyway, food for thought