PDA

View Full Version : VISA + Return Flights

jeffr
07-08-2004, 00:59
Can any one tell me if i need to have a return flight booked if i am entering the US on a 'L' or 'E' visa.

I have been told that they will not let you in on a one way flight, which i find strange as i dont know when i will be returning.

Thanks
Jeff

blott
07-08-2004, 02:43
As far as I know, it's only people who are on visa waiver or other type visitor visas who have to have return flights on entry to the USA. If you're entering on an L or E visa, then airline return tickets don't last any longer than a year normally although your visa (for E certainly) will usually be for 2-5 years.

Are you sure these aren't airline rules rather than Immigration rules?

However, having said all that, I think you'll probably find that it's cheaper to purchase a return flight from the UK anyway and just not use the return portion!

jeffc
07-08-2004, 03:11
THINK YOU WILL FIND ITS CHEAPER TO GET RETURN FLIGHTS ANYWAY ONE TEND TO BE EXPENSIVE....

jeffr
07-08-2004, 20:35
Thanks guys

Are you suggesting it is as cheap or as near as, to purchase a return trip as a single one way. If so.
I have heard that virgin do an open ticket that lasts for upto 1 year.
Has any one else seen this?

And are there any repercussions if you do not use it.

Thanks agian all.

Jeff

blott
07-08-2004, 22:07
In fact, you'll normally find that a one way ticket is more (sometimes by quite a bit more) than a return ticket.

Usually, any ticket without a return date on it and lasting for any length of time is also more expensive too.

Best to buy an ordinary cheapo return one and then not use the return portion of it - I think you'll find that most people do that. If you get one with a definite return date on it, then you'd obviously tell the airline once you're in Florida that you're not travelling on that date and will make alternative arrangements for your return flight, that should cover it.

jeffr
08-08-2004, 14:52
Cheers Blott