Quote Originally Posted by cork View Post
To Bargainqueen,

Is it true that if you use the Presto machines outside Publix and charged $ 2 per transaction & that you are also charged an International

transaction fee by your UK Bank ?

In other words you are charged twice for one transaction.

If you go inside a Bank and use their ATM then you only pay Once per transaction
I have 2 different bank accounts that I use for obtaining local currency abroad, Nationwide and Norwich & Peterborough, both do not charge a fee.
When using the atm you will get asked a question, do you want to pay in local currency or do you want to pay in £'s, as long as you pay in local then Nationwide/Norwich & Peterborough will calculate the exchange rate. The screen will show what it's calculation in £'s will be and what gets charged to my a/c is always less.

As far as I'm aware you will always pay to use an atm machine now unless you have an account with the bank, the screen always tells you what the charge will be and you have to tell it you're happy to accept the charge before you can continue.

Have not used any atm's inside banks so cannot confirm if the charge still applies then.

Withdrawing cash abroad can be expensive, my sister has the old flexi Nationwide a/c and she pays £5 per transaction on top of the atm fee in $'s. I travel abroad frequently so was pleased when Nationwide reintroduced a new account with free withdrawal.

Hope that answers your querry.