Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctors/Dentist

Florida Newbie

Doctors/Dentist

Hi guys,
    How do you go about getting to see a doctor or dentist in Orlando. I'm not talking about a 911 situation but ear infections and fillings falling out etc.

Thanks.

Budvar.....
    budvar

Florida Junior
    there are many walk in doctors here ,so that wont be a problem for you ,they charge about $65.00 and upwards ,you will have to pay cash or c/card ,then you will beable to claim it back once you get back to UK ,Dentist's are very dear $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ,i had a crown fitted a few months ago ,cost me $1000.00 ,just hope your teeth are ok ,get them checked out before you come to florida ,

We were in Florida and daughter became ill with tonsillitis. We went to the medical centre, where she was seen almost immediately, had a thorough examination and was prescribed anti-biotics. It wasn't cheap - thank goodness for insurance!

Would think you could get emergency dental care in same way - no reason for them not to treat you. They will ask for your insurance document - so always have it handy.

Gold 5 Star Member
    my son in law lost a filling on the way over and spent all weekend in agony.

On Monday morning my hubby took him to the dentist. It was a 5 hour job-while the dentist broke for lunch!

In an effort to save the tooth- he had root canal work which cost $700. I think he got about £200 off his insurance-the rest he had to stump up for himself.

If you have any loose fillings or think you might need emergency dental treatment-get it checked before you go. This was a very costly emergency-and you are not totally covered in the way other things are.
    Orlandobabe

hI

Yes there are lots of walk in clinics

The nearest hopsital to Disney with an A&E dept
    is in Celebration
    tel 407 764 4000

The also have an emergency dentist
    tel 407 566 2222

The clinic near to our villa is only open 8 -8 so you would have to go to the hospital out of hours

any more questions about this please ask!!
    andy and ann

www.villasflorida.com/Villas/1044.aspx

Florida Chatterbox

Check out the pharmacy's such as walgreens, longs etc. I am sure that they sell temporary filling material and I thought I had heard recently about something for ear infections (but don't quote me on this though...)

Medical and dental costs are so expensive that often you find things at the pharmacy to help you that you wouldn't expect to find in the UK, especially for minor ailments.

Also read a report recently that some body (the American Academy of Pediatrics, I think) was doing to recommend that antibiotics were not used routinely for ear infections - most infections clear up by themselves in a few days. Obviously severe and painful ear infections did require antibiotic treatment but I think this was to try and reduce the dependence on antibiotics for all events...

Neil & Kay, Arran & Iona

www.orlandovillas.com/villas/398.aspx
    www.orlandovillas.com/villas/711.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The nearest hopsital to Disney with an A&E dept
    is in Celebration[/quote] Unless you've got something that specifically may need hospital treatment, ie a broken limb, etc then always choose a walk in medical center as your first port of call.

Any ER (Emergency Room) in a hospital costs at least twice as much as a walk in medical center and, if it's something that may not be covered by insurance, you could save yourself a lot of money. Celebration Hospital is also the most expensive hospital in the area!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    My son in law tried the temporary filling material-but did not find it very helpful-an abcess had started to form which needed the drainage on it.

His tooth was painful-but not half as painful as the looks he got from his wife for not getting everything sorted at home-lol!
    Orlandobabe

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandobabe
    my son in law lost a filling on the way over and spent all weekend in agony.

On Monday morning my hubby took him to the dentist. It was a 5 hour job-while the dentist broke for lunch!

In an effort to save the tooth- he had root canal work which cost $700. I think he got about £200 off his insurance-the rest he had to stump up for himself.

If you have any loose fillings or think you might need emergency dental treatment-get it checked before you go. This was a very costly emergency-and you are not totally covered in the way other things are.
    [/quote]

Its more like a $1000 for a root canal now......I'd agree with you go to the dentist a few weeks before flying......

I had to see a doctor 4 years ago for an eye infection. $200 - $100 each for the doctor and the eye drops. Just remember that next time you part with your money for your prescriptions!

Another time I am going to be half dead not just with a gunked up eye[msnwink]. And our insurance wheedled out of it because I didn't phone them first to find an authorised doctor on Sanibel Island, mind you with the £75 excess was hardly worth worrying about anyway. We now have different insurers you will be surprised to hear. Surprising thing was the chemist refused to sell me eye drops and said I had to see a doctor - whereas here you can at least try that first. However, up in Kissimmee chemist was very helpful with food poisoning - naturally that was the day we were driving to Miami to catch a flight - but what he recommended stopped YD being ill.
    Fiona