Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prices this year

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E. Cosgrove View Post
    We have just been to the US and didn't really notice any change in prices. We have felt that grocery shopping is the same as back home, or even dearer, for a long time now.
    The problem is when you compare it to sterling prices people expect things to be far less expensive and they are not. Dollar prices are very similar to our last few trips, the exchange rate is not.
    you have to think in dollars and can only compare prices to previous dollar prices, not pounds sterling.
    I agree.

While there are a few things that are very obviously cheaper (petrol is probably the best example) and some that are more expensive, on the whole I don't think that prices of everyday items are really that far apart. As you say, it's the exchange rate that's hurting us at the moment.

I do try to think just in dollars but I find myself doing a mental calculation on pretty much every thing I look to buy and I don't seem to be able to shake that habit off. My wife on the other hand has always appeared to have the ability to completely disregard the cost of things wherever she goes!
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 15-09-2016 at 02:28.

We have just got back from 3 weeks in Florida and did take more care over shopping than usual. We moved down from Publix to Walmart for most of our food shopping and did very little clothes shopping this time. We don't eat out very often and prefer to relax around our pool with a drink (no one has to drive home) and a BBQ so it wasn't too expensive.
    Gerry and Sue