Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customs declared food

Florida Chatterbox

Customs declared food

Hi all

Could anyone help? there a few of us going in the next few weeks, but a couple would like to take sachets of salad cream with them,( and they what to take these to restaurants with them...Dohh) and i wondered if you should declare them? if so under what section of the form?

thanks

There is a part on the White form that asks if you are carrying food. The problem with salad cream is the minute you write the word cream they will think you are carrying dairy!
    I remember someone saying they had problems with mincemeat when trying to convince customs that it was not meat!

Liz

Can't they just buy some in the 'foreign foods' section of Walmart?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAUL GIZZI View Post
    Hi all

Could anyone help? there a few of us going in the next few weeks, but a couple would like to take sachets of salad cream with them,( and they what to take these to restaurants with them...Dohh) and i wondered if you should declare them? if so under what section of the form?

thanks
    We bought a bottle of Heinz with us on Thursday (fussy hubby prefers it to mayo and gets through tons of salad on holiday)
    and declared it and had no problem. We had to go to secondary inspection as usual but it didnt take more than a couple of minutes and the guy was really chatty. I've watched so many of the
    nothing to declare type programmes and seen so many people whose bags have food in and they are asked why they didnt declare it and they just assume it is "prohibited " food you are supposed to declare (like you have to say if you are a terrorist"
    Babblin Boo

Florida Expert
    We declared a bag full of baby food a few years ago due to a fussy eater wanting a particular brand, had no bother at all.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    Is "salad cream" what you folks from the UK call what we Americans call "salad dressing"? If so, write "salad dressing" to avoid the dairy issue. Note that I have no idea whether or not salad dressing is allowed to be brought into the country.

If "salad cream" is not "salad dressing", what is it? It sounds good, but then "cream" almost always does.
    Mike

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunVilla View Post
    Is "salad cream" what you folks from the UK call what we Americans call "salad dressing"? If so, write "salad dressing" to avoid the dairy issue. Note that I have no idea whether or not salad dressing is allowed to be brought into the country.

If "salad cream" is not "salad dressing", what is it? It sounds good, but then "cream" almost always does.
    Yes it is.

Florida Chatterbox
    thanks for all the advice. ill declare it and see what happens, worst they can do is confiscate it?

It's not dressing as you know it in the US. It is more of a sauce type texture similar to mayonnaise, although whilst I don't mind a small amount of Mayo and I love salad dressing I can't abide salad cream

Liz

It may look like a runny mayonnaise but has a high vinegar content (no cream).
    Gerry and Sue