Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Shopping & golf - we're here

Florida Chatterbox

Shopping & golf - we're here

Left our house at 5am, temperature -4c. All week they had been reporting problems on the route we use to Gatwick. Sailed through and arrived at Valet Parking at 6.30!

Plane left 1pm, only flight that day and it had 150+ passengers.

Captain announced that we had arrived at 5.40, at hall they had changed it from last year and we went right to queue for imagration. US passport holders went left to use machines.

We were near the front of line so it didn't take too long to go through. I wish they would send the officers on a training programme, ours was dour to start with but soon mellowed and wished us a happy holiday as we left. Some of them make you feel quilty because you regularly come over when as a holiday destination they should be encouraging us to come.

We took our cases with us on train but sent the golf clubs through.

We both have paper licences which I believe will not work on the new self service kiosk. We went straight to garage, showed our Alamo reservation confirmation to clerk and was sent to the Compact line where quite a few cars were waiting. Most of them were Nissan hatchbacks but we managed to find two Hyundai Elantra. I look for cars with zappers and boot openers and he for a boot to hide his golf clubs.
    Our paperwork shows us leaving garage 6.54pm so I think we made good timing.

OH had all the luggage in his car as I was stopping off to get the basics. We leave the airport via South Access road and then go on 417. It was dark and unfortuneatly there's road works near to 417 turn off. Not good for someone who's tired. Quite a bit of traffic
    around so I got a few flashes for having to change lanes. I still wasn't sure if I was going right way on 417 so asked at the toll, I think I made her day!

The tolls are now 1.50 and 75c at OBT.

Quick stop at Aldi to get my milk and water. Arrived at villa at 8pm just after OH. He missed the turning but sat nav took him down Boggy Creek through to 192.

The roadworks are for new entrance/exit for Florida Turnpike link to OIA, on the news this morning.

Temperature 73c when I started up car, no wonder I was sweating, air con on full blast to cool down.

Apologies for spelling mistakes, don't know if it's spell check or me.

Going shopping now, weather not looking good for golf. OH gone for breakfast with Michigan buddies, they're fair weather golfers but he'll probably play later if it stops.

Super Moderator
    Sounds like it was not too bad getting through the airport but have to agree the road works when you go out the south entrance can be a bit trying after a long flight. When I arrived it was pouring which did not help my and unfortunately I was on my own so did not have anyone else to help look out for me. Do not really want to hear it was 73 although it was positively hot today as it got up to 6.5C which is an improvement over the last few days.

Have a good trip

Florida Chatterbox
    The weather has changed, it's now in the 60's and I've had to buy a thicker cardigan as I wasn't expecting this. Should have realised as we came over in January on our first trip together, had a suitcase of shorts etc and had to go to Belz mall for more suitable clothing.
    The following year we came back at beginning of January (to make use of our annual tickets for the parks) and was able to wear shorts even at midnight for the parades. I'm normally a just in case girl but failed miserably this trip, won't be packing so early again.

The news reports are still mentioning the new ramps and to be careful when using the 417. All I saw was orange plastic fencing, we'll be going back to airport on Sunday to pick up my sister, will report back then.

Shame the weather is not too good for you at the moment - only one solution to this, go shopping!!!

I'm sure it will pick up soon. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

The weather has been topsy turvy since mid September. Hopefully it will sort itself out but there has certainly been a change in the pattern. We have been travelling to and fro for 20+ years and never had as much rain, cool/cold evenings as we did on our 13 week stay. Looking at the forecast for the next 7 days, it is low 70's apart from a couple of higher 70's, not too much sunshine after Thursday and very cold in the evenings. It is very disappointing for those people on their first magical trip to Disney who seem to expect back to back sunshine. At least when it is cold and not raining, the sky is blue which makes you feel better.

Hope the sun comes out and you get some sunny days which I am sure you will.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    The sun is out, but it's windy again today. It's been very windy for four straight days.
    Mike