Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Just the 2 of us part 7 Blue Heron River and The Turkey Leg

Florida Junior

Just the 2 of us part 8 Blue Heron River and The Turkey Leg

Tuesday 14th October

Up quite early for me today as we have a long drive (77 miles) to Hontoon Landing and the Blue Heron River Tour. We have been twice before and this is one of the highlights for us on our trips to Florida. We travel up the I4 and hit lots of traffic as it is only 8.30am and people are heading for work. As we clear Orlando the traffic eases and we have a fairly easy drive to Deland where Hontoon is. If you have never been it is a great place for a relaxing few hours (the boat trip takes between 2 and 2 1/2 hrs) and runs every day at 10am and 1.00pm and the wildlife is great.

Our captain today is Bob there are 2 other captains and it depends what day you go as to who you get. The boat can take up to 45 people and today there is only me and Sue on the 10am trip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	1048

As we cruse along Bob tells us all about the river, the area and what birds and animals are here at different times of the year. Due to the rain over the last month the river is 2-3 feet above where it normally is at this time so we are not expected to see any gators[]

The trip is relaxing and as there is only us two of us Bob was very talkative and stopped the boat for me to take pictures when I wanted. We saw lots of Blue Herons, Turtles, a Belted Kingfisher, White Ibis and Snowy Egret. We also saw a Manatee but bob said the water was getting too cold for them so not many about. The highlight of the trip was when we sighted a Bald Eagle sitting at the top of a tree. Bob said it had been nesting nearby and was only seen occasionally on the river I managed to get a few good shots of it. The best shot I got is below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	1049

If you have never been it is worth a trip, if you go on the 10am trip you get back about 12-12.30 and if you take your lunch you can have it on the patio area at the dock and watch the wildlife from there. A tip from me is take a good camera and a pair of binoculars (you can hire a pair for $2). I also noticed that Val has posted some info about this on the "Outside Orlando Area" section on this site.

We arrived back at the villa about 2.30pm and the weather forecast was for thunderstorms. We decided to go to Golden Corral as Sue did not want to cook tonight so we set off in bright weather. About 1/2 mile before we go to restaurant the thunderstorm hit and we got wet going in. It was still raining when we came out but we were going back to the villa so that did not matter. Spent the rest of the night watching the lighting and thunder from the lounge it can be spectacular here.

Wednesday 15th October

It is still raining when we get up so decide to stay in today. I end up writing another instalment of out trip and we venture out after lunch to Publix for some comfort food (Key lime cheesecake) and some other essentials. Tea in and an early night (just like home but much warmer)

Thursday 16th October.

Today has been a bit like Deja vu only with a slight twist. Went to I.O.A as this was the last day we can use our 14 day ticket. After having a coffee and a cookie we decided to do Spiderman and the queue was only 10 mins. As we were sat on the ride before it really started Sue said to me can you smell food I said no and then we were off. About 30 seconds into the ride Sue nudged me and pointed to the man next to her he had the biggest turkey leg you have seen and he was eating it while the ride went on, How he got it on to the ride I do not know but I have never seen anything like it before (I looked at him more that what was happening around me). I know we have to eat but a turkey leg at 10am in the morning and on a ride [sick][sick]

Went across to Universal on the train and it was as busy as I have ever see it. Over 80 mins for Minions and 70 mins for Transformers. Managed to do M.I.B after lunch and then decided to go back to villa. As we were heading out the SpongeBob parade had just started and we stopped to watch. As the parade stopped in front of us a character I now know as Squidward Tentacles blew kisses at Sue. He motioned for me to move on and he put his hand (tentacle) to his heart and pointed to Sue. I said looks like you have pulled there and hope you enjoy your new life under the sea. As the parade pulled away he was upset that she did not go with him but we notice further down the street he was doing the same thing to another girl so maybe squids have a short memory.

We went to the Nascar Grill for tea which was busy and after a 15 min wait we were seated. We went to the pictures again after tea to see Dracula Untold (my opinion do not rush to see this film as it is not that good and the ending means there is going to be a sequel).

As we come out of the pictures there are lots of people going in to HHN we decided not to go this year as we have been for the last 3 years and it just seemed the same things with a different name.

That's it for now we are heading into the final week of our stay (we go home Wednesday the 22nd) and only Magic Kingdom to visit now (we are coming back next May so may do more Disney then).

G
    Last edited by junior; 19-10-2014 at 12:13.

Really enjoying your trip reports. I am here for 13 weeks so it would be too much effort for me to write some!!!!

Florida Chatterbox mary and colin's Avatar
    I am loving your trip reports I feel like I am there at times.

Val told me about the Blue Heron river tour which we have on our list of must does. After seeing your pictures and reading your visit there I am hoping we can go this November. It will be a shame to miss the manatees if the water is to cold as I love watching them.

Thank you for giving us your time writing the posts.

Mary

Nice to read about different things to do. will put this on my to do list
    Jan

Super Moderator
    We have been on the same boat trip and have to agree it is well worth it and the captains are really informative and helpful in pointing out different things along the way. Love the pictures.

Squids - Fickle !
    Dave.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Been on the boat trip at Blue Spring but never the Blue Heron River Tours will have to give that a go.
    Lyn

gonna give the boat trip a go.. was looking at scenic tours this afternoon for when we're over (this time next month!)
    Liesa