Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: New Toll charge scam

Super Moderator

New Toll charge scam

A few days ago we received an email headed 'pay for driving through toll road'. Checked the source and it said we drove through a toll and failed to pay with, of course, details of how to rectify our error, give our bank details and pay on line. We have since received a couple of further emails supposedly from the Toll Pay company threatening us if we do not pay up and to do so straight away. It seems the scam is doing the rounds again and has been widely reported in local papers.

Oh dear and I'll bet it all looks "official" too!! Check, double-check and then check again is the only advice to follow...anyone hiring a car would surely get any notification from car-hire company and not a third party since the car is registered to them and no individual driver details are available to the authorities.

Florida Chatterbox
    We've received these recently, too, but as we always use the cash toll booths, & had asked that the transponder be switched off in the hire car, I just ignored them.
    Hazel.

Florida Chatterbox
    I know it is not quite the same thing, but I recently had a charge for $180 made by a Orlando Limo firm against my card. We had used them back in March to take some of our party from the airport to the villa, but that was way less than this a paid at the time. Whilst we were in the US in July, we were nowhere near Orlando.

I spoke to them a number of times and was fobbed off to the admin department (the number they gave me was actually a private address who did not know them) was told that they would phone back (which of course they never did) and pretty much given the run around. At one point, no mater how clear I was, the pretended that they did not understand what I was saying! My bank were great, the refunded the charge whilst it is being sorted and and have taken it up with them on my behalf.

Fortunately, it was my wife's debit card which never gets used in the US (this was the only time as I was driving the hire car and so not present and she used it by mistake instead of the credit card) so we know it must be the same firm as no one else would have had her number. I wonder if they really thought we wouldn't question it!

Leaves a sour taste

We've just returned from our 3 week holiday and got the following email.
    It was from 'Collection Agency' the title of the email was 'Indebtedness for Driving on a Toll Road'.
    We hardly took any toll roads but are 100% sure we don't owe anything as we always stopped and paid cash & got receipts. Naughty stuff [!]

E-ZPass - Service Center

Dear customer,

You have not paid for driving on a toll road. This invoice is sent repeatedly, please service your debt in the shortest possible time.
    <http://developforlife.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/wysija/themes/smoke/index.php?to=m8Q5TO6Y0U5L8Q5ykuyaGy4spgLCxH87BAjwJ DTQxXI=>
    Get Invoice

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    They are aware of it and the advice is not to click on any link in the email--i googled it if you need/want further info

"E-ZPass Group, a toll collection program consisting of 25 agencies in 15 states, has issued a warning to customers concerning a Phishing scam that is posing as a collection notice.

In a notice to customers, E-ZPass stated that the messages being reported are not authorized communications, even if a person's account is behind on payments. If that happens to be the case, payment notices are invoiced and sent to the customer directly via the United States Postal Service."

I have also had an e-mail but in was filtered into spam, and that it exactly what it is!!!

Very helpful - thanks x

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the Frog View Post
    They are aware of it and the advice is not to click on any link in the email--i googled it if you need/want further info

"E-ZPass Group, a toll collection program consisting of 25 agencies in 15 states, has issued a warning to customers concerning a Phishing scam that is posing as a collection notice.

In a notice to customers, E-ZPass stated that the messages being reported are not authorized communications, even if a person's account is behind on payments. If that happens to be the case, payment notices are invoiced and sent to the customer directly via the United States Postal Service."

when we came home last october about a month or bit longer after we got letters (yep real ones!) stating they had collected over $39 for toll road xx it says we drove through without paying... which isnt totally correct it wouldnt accept our money... we had 3 cars... son, n son in law and it happened to all 3 cars! dam rip off!! so $120+ for 3 cars through a toll which wouldve cost less then $3 per car grrrrrrrr
    Liesa

Florida Chatterbox
    Had one of these today. would have been worried if I had not read this, especially as I had a parking fine in Celebration that I had to pay by post. I have worried about that as I have never had confirmation that the fine was paid.