Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pool screens

Florida Chatterbox
    [QUOTE=Andrena;718670]First I have ever heard of this in 20 years of owning a pool with a screen.

You learn something everyday Andrena!

An engineer's viewpoint - it must depend on the density of the mesh. UV is just above visible light on the spectrum. If the screen is reducing the amount of light entering the pool area, then it is reducing the amount of UV too. A light meter (such as used by a photographer) would, I am quite sure, show a lower light level inside the cage than outside.
    I've never gone shopping for a pool screen but I expect lots of emphasis is put on how little light is blocked by the expensive ones. If it's not blocking much light it isn't blocking much UV.
    Now if anyone wants to do any research into what dot-pitch of pool screen netting will pass visible light but filter out UV, I'd really like to see the maths!!

Ooh I just thought of something else.... since heat, infra red radiation, is a lower frequency than light, I wonder if more heat will be lost because of the net than will UV? That could mean that it feels cooler than outside the cage but there is relatively more UV than it feels there would be.

I need to get out more.
    Last edited by Dads_Taxi; 29-07-2014 at 22:54. Reason: More drivel came to mind
    Dave.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping the answer was it doesn't make a blind bit of difference, but as I suspected, it does. I was trying to settle an argument we have been having for a couple of days.
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was hoping the answer was it doesn't make a blind bit of difference, but as I suspected, it does. I was trying to settle an argument we have been having for a couple of days.
    I take it you've lost?
    Babblin Boo

The fair answer would be 'not much' you just need an extra 15% more time to go lobster

Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post

Quote Originally Posted by steph_goodrum View Post
    I take it you've lost?
    Yes, sadly. I enjoy sitting by the pool in the sunshine, enjoying the company of my family as they splash about in the pool. Fat cigar in one hand, a jug of icy margarita or martini in reach of the other. When I get too hot, I fall into the pool.

Mrs T couldn't care less about the pool and complains that the screen blots out the sun. She abandons me and heads off to the rooftop to lie for hours on end in oppressive heat. I say come down here, she says no, you come up here. The roof is far too hot for me!

I hoped I could persuade her that she would get just as much tanning action under the screen, but you lot have blown my argument.

Or maybe it's the cigar...
    Tonish

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Reed View Post
    I always find it takes much longer to tan in the pool area and after a short time out in our garden I burn so I have always assumed that the screen does filter out some sun but I would still use sun screen

Sue
    Sue I totally agree with you. I never get as good a tan when sunbathing inside the pool area as I do outside it. Have definitely noticed this over the years