Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Virgin Seat Allocation

Florida Newbie

Virgin Seat Allocation

Anyone got any insight into the latest thinking of Virgin with seat allocation - Until recently selecting seats was free, but sometime last year they announced they would charge, with the system becoming operational from the 25th June. (However selction would be free from 60 days before)

I have just seen they have decided not to introduce from tomorrow until the system can run "smoothly" - so assume they have hit technical problems.

Just wondered if anyone knows something more or when it is likely to be available?

Not sure I understand your question.
    We selected our seats 60 days in advance for our trip on 2nd June.

Liz

Florida Newbie
    Virgin had announced that from today (25th) you would be able to select your seats but at a price - Only at 60 days in advance would it become free to do so.

We fly next March and whilst it sticks in the throat having to pay for something which previously was free, it was important enough for us that we were going to do it - But it now looks like the implementation of the system has been deferred, without any real explanation.

As far as I know this system has been in operation already, we travelled on June 2nd this year. We booked our flights in Dec 2013 and if we had wanted to reserve our seats we would have had to pay. We booked our seats mid April for both our outward and return journeys at no cost. Not sure what has changed since then.

Liz

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone
    Even if you select your seats, virgin will not guarantee you will get your required seats, as we found out on our outward flight on the 31st May! but we gid get our chosen seats (in the bubble) on the return journey home

Tony

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Seat selection from 60 days in advance of flight has been in operation for some time now. As Tony has said Virgin do not guarantee your seat selection so I would not want pay for the service. At least it is better than BA you cannot choose your seat with them FOC (in economy) until online check in opens 24 hours before your flight.
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    Seat selection has become a very handy source of income for the airlines and I don't see the situation getting better in the future. They know that a lot of people will pay for it and exploit that to the limit.

The BA system is awful and incredibly expensive for groups and families even in Club and WorldTraveller Plus. Not only that , they don't automatically refund if they change your seat and set strict time limits for you to reclaim the cost.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 27-06-2014 at 00:38.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2000 View Post
    Even if you select your seats, virgin will not guarantee you will get your required seats, as we found out on our outward flight on the 31st May! but we gid get our chosen seats (in the bubble) on the return journey home

Tony
    We foudn that, we were flying Pe and had selected the last row so we would be ready for a uick exit but they decided that as they were so busy they would move all the couples upstairs and families downstairs. still ended up with a few families upstaies so to me i couldnt see why they had to change it anyway.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Newbie
    It was a change in system for bookings made after 31st December 2013 - Guess its a watch this space to see what Virgin come up with