Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best prepaid travel card

Florida Newbie

best prepaid travel card

Hi all getting closer to our travel date been looking for the best prepaid travel card with best rates and thats accepted in most places and best atm coverage im also wondering how do you redeem any funds you may have left on your card when back in the uk

Florida Junior
    I used the Travelex card and had no problems with it. Not sure how you get money back off it, not that I had much left, but I'm planning on using it next year, so that will give me a wee start!

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    I use the fairrax card. If you go through money supermarket you can get it without paying an initial fee.
    Christine

Gold 5 Star Member
    Me too with Fairfx. I top it up over there if need be so there isnt a huge amount on at any time. Used mine for at least 4 years now with no problem. Only time it was declined was in Claires for $16 so think it was their machine as used it in the next store no problem.
    This is from their website
    "If you wish to withdraw your money we generally recommend that you do so via any ATM that accepts MasterCard®. This is often the cheapest way to withdraw your money as long as the amount isn't too high as you only pay either EUR €1.50 or USD $2.00 plus the 1.4% out of currency fee for the $ or € cards or a £1.50 flat fee if you are using the Sterling card. The exchange rate is the MasterCard wholesale rate. If you have a large amount of funds left on your card it may work out cheaper to refund it through FairFX.

You can also spend the remaining money back here in the UK at shops and restaurants to use up the funds left on the card. You will be charged 1.4% on all point of sale transactions.

If you prefer the money in one lump sum, we will arrange for some or all of the available funds on your FairFX Card to be refunded to you. We can transfer the money to you and you can still keep the card for future use. There is a £10 refund fee on the Euro and Dollar card or 1.4% on the anywhere card (subject to a minimum of £10.) Please email us at enquiries@fairfx.com for further assistance.
    Top"
    So you can use it to spend at home but transaction will have 1/4% loading (I think thats about the same as some cards take for overseas transactions.
    That works out to 19.6 Dollars for 1400 dollar spend (only on refunding or using it up ) there are no charges to use it overseas and they give you a good exchange rate. (1.67 yesterday)
    Babblin Boo

Fairfax is simple. There are no fees if you order on line and load with minimum £200. We don't use it for cash withdrawals at ATM's, only for payments in restaurants and shops. That way we pay no charges whatsoever, and can put more onto it online whilst in US if we need more $.

Very simple.

I always use CaxtonFX card and found them excellent. No hassle loading and using abroad is easy.
    John
     Sent from my iMac

Another vote for Caxton FX from me. no charges to use anywhere, including ATM cash withdrawals, easy to top up and check balance on line. I've never tried to get unused balance back from it though, I just keep checking the balance and get it down to less than $10 before we come home.
    Dave.

I used to have a mytravelcash prepaid card but got rid of it.

It was really convenient to use and top-up, although the rate was never fantastic compared with the bank rate.

What really made me recoil were the charges they tried to levy to continue to use it past the initial two year validity. Then they tried to charge me for cancelling it. A few screaming phone calls later and they agreed to close it in exchange for the £1.38 credit left on it. I told them it was worth it to get them out of my life.

I now have a Halifax Clarity card and won't get on a plane without it!
    Tony G

Another vote for the Halifax Clarity card....or the Santander Zero. Spot rates and no charges whatsoever or loading of the rates. They are credit cards but were so easy to apply for online plus I pay them off in full each month. I think they're brilliant.....and I wouldn't get on a plane without them either!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post

I now have a Halifax Clarity card and won't get on of a plane without it!
    Linda

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonl View Post
    Another vote for the Halifax Clarity card....or the Santander Zero. Spot rates and no charges whatsoever or loading of the rates. They are credit cards but were so easy to apply for online plus I pay them off in full each month. I think they're brilliant.....and I wouldn't get on a plane without them either!!
    The beauty of the Fairfx and Caxton ones though is that when youu get on the plane to come home, you don't have to worry about whether any other charges have been added, have you overspent and got more to pay than you expect. If you have preloaded then youu know what funds you have available. Ironically whe you use them youu often have to select credit rather than debit option which is a bit annoying, when it is your own money you are spending it isnt a credit imo.
    Babblin Boo