Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Beware scam in Orlando!

Florida Chatterbox

Beware scam in Orlando!

I do not want to put anyone off visiting Orlando it is a great place for a vacation but please be aware that the Camera and Lense shop on International Drive number is not all it appears to be.

Today I visited them and purchased two lenses for my camera. Their advert said they gave thirty to seventy five percent discounts on their lenses. The salesman is very persuasive and friendly. I am usually so careful but this time I was totally taken in and bought the two lenses for 798 dollars.
    On returning home I checked the internet and found that I could have bought the same two lenses for 318 dollars from Best Buy. I returned to the shop within the hour and asked for a refund. The salesman refused point blank and told me I had no hope of getting my money back in America. I contacted the police who were sympathetic but confirmed that there was nothing they could do and there were No laws in America that covered this situation. America has free enterprise and shops can charge whatever they want.

This will not put me off visiting Florida but I will be much more careful in future about were I shop.
    Margaret

Gold 5 Star Member
    Sorry to hear this Margaret, unfortunately it's often the case that you have to do your research before leaving home this is where Smartphones are handy so you could check whilst in the store at competitors prices. TThe only restriction on prices I have ever hear of are in the event of an emerency they are not allowed (supposedly,) to price gouge, ie inflate the price of essential items.
    Babblin Boo

I've heard this about other camera shops in Florida. Definately check the approximate price befoire you commit. Sorry to hear your experience. Don't feel too bad, at least you got what you paid for.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I had a similar experience a good few years ago at a camera shop in a Kissimmee except I did not buy (thankfully). They were carrying slightly out of date models and trying to pass them off as the latest ones etc etc. Very friendly, very persuasive and no returns policy at all.

I now avoid discount camera shops in Florida like the plague. I'd much rather buy from a reputable supplier and be happy I'm getting great advice.

It is a similar situation with Laptop Shops all over the tourist areas......out of date models when up to date ones can be bought cheaper in Walmart etc. Check out prices before buying anything "expensive" in Florida.

Super Moderator
    Over the years there have been a few problems with camera shops in the area and a variety of 'problems'. It is a shame as it could cause a headache for those shops not trying to fleece tourists. We were nearly caught out over a laptop from a shop in Kissimmee a few years ago. Stuart was keen to buy but I thought something seemed not quite right and insisted we left the store - did some more research and was not being offered the latest model as promised.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    Over the years there have been a few problems with camera shops in the area and a variety of 'problems'. It is a shame as it could cause a headache for those shops not trying to fleece tourists. We were nearly caught out over a laptop from a shop in Kissimmee a few years ago. Stuart was keen to buy but I thought something seemed not quite right and insisted we left the store - did some more research and was not being offered the latest model as promised.
    Thank you for your replies. I usually do research thoroughly. Don't know why I didn't on this occasion. I put it down to being more relaxed because I am on vacation. It was a costly mistake that I hope does not happen to anyone else who visits the forums. What surprised me most is that shops are allowed to use these practises and that the USA does not have any regulation in place to stop them ripping people off.
    Margaret

As already said, do your homework. Put it down to experience.