Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Lithium Batteries on Flights - Useful Info

Lithium Batteries on Flights - Useful Info

For Info - I've just been researching the regulations on taking lithium batteries on planes. This answered my questions, it may be of use to others:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/d...um-battery.pdf
    Dave.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I took some LiPo batteries for an remote control multi-rotor helicopter (one of my hobbies outside OV ) when I went to Florida last September. I researched it all before I went and expected to get stopped at security, especially as I was travelling on my own.

Sure enough, I was stopped both in Manchester on the way out and Orlando on the way home. I had all my batteries taped up (so there was no chance of them shorting) and in a LiPo bag for extra protection as I was advised to do. This showed as suspicious on the hand luggage scans (you can only carry LiPo's in hand luggage). I was easily able to explain what they were and why I had them and it was not a problem.

Interestingly, on the way home my laptop (which was next to the batteries in my bag) tested positive for explosives. After a chat with the security guy, he explained that the chemical they test for can be given off in small quantities by LiPo batteries. He was an RC pilot himself so we up having a really nice chat about flying in the USA and UK and it was obvious to him that I knew what I was talking about and things were genuine.

Here is a link to the Virgin Atlantic Dangerous Goods page: click here. I also phoned their Cargo Dept who were very helpful with specific advice .