Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: best way to take spending money? ?

Florida Expert
    I was only refused once in 2 weeks mind, never had a problem anywhere else.

I prefer Travellers Cheques to both Credit cards and pre loaded currency cards as you know exactly how much money you have left.

I've heard a lot of stories of pre paid currency cards being refused and also problems finding out how much is left on them.
    Also heard of people being charged fees for using them when they're supposed to have been free.

Florida Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ujpest doza View Post
    Also heard of people being charged fees for using them when they're supposed to have been free.
    With a credit card you can set a limit so no difference to having cash or TC.

Re fees the Terms and conditions make it clear what the card company can and cant charge for.
    Also the card issuer only guarantees it will be free. There are various banks/ATMs that charge a cash fee if your card is not on their network.

Not many places dont take cards so what do you need a lot of cash for?

Anyway as I said earlier, just my opinion YMMV

So, I'm just about ready to change my hard earned for fun vouchers, we go on 22nd May, and after reading all this I still can't make my mind up.

1. Credit cards get a good rate, are accepted widely but are more difficult to budget and not everyone has access to one.
    2. Pre-paids attract a good rate, are accepted widely but don't have the protection of a bank (if they go bang) and are not as easy as TC's to see what you're spending if on a tight budget. (You need internet access to check it)
    3. Cash, Too risky, no protection for loss/theft over your Insurance limit (usually around £500)
    4. Travellers cheques. Old hat, not accepted everywhere but free to exchange at a bank, protected, and easy to budget.

I checked this morning and Travelex for example offer 1.64 for cash, TC's or the pre paid card so the rate doesn't seem to be an issue, at least with them. Not checked my CC card, I'll only use it in an emergency.

What to do....

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    So, I'm just about ready to change my hard earned for fun vouchers, we go on 22nd May, and after reading all this I still can't make my mind up.

1. Credit cards get a good rate, are accepted widely but are more difficult to budget and not everyone has access to one.
    2. Pre-paids attract a good rate, are accepted widely but don't have the protection of a bank (if they go bang) and are not as easy as TC's to see what you're spending if on a tight budget. (You need internet access to check it)
    3. Cash, Too risky, no protection for loss/theft over your Insurance limit (usually around £500)
    4. Travellers cheques. Old hat, not accepted everywhere but free to exchange at a bank, protected, and easy to budget.

I checked this morning and Travelex for example offer 1.64 for cash, TC's or the pre paid card so the rate doesn't seem to be an issue, at least with them. Not checked my CC card, I'll only use it in an emergency.

What to do....
    If you are going to use a credit card then check first whether it is one that does not charge a fee for overseas usage eg Post Office and Halifax are a couple that offer these cards or make sure you know what your card provider charges as some charge up to 3% conversion.

Fee free cards are my choice for daily stuff. If you have problems budgeting simply ask the card provide to lower the credit limit to an agreed amount. That said, whenever we were buying something of value, we always managed to get a good discount for cash. I really would not bother with travellers checks, such an antiquated system.

Florida Expert

What to do....
    To be fair I only had a problem with TC's at one outlet which was a franchised food outlet at the mall at millennia. Never a problem at larger establishments or theme parks.

Same here, never had a problem with them. In fact, I've made my mind up, I'm going to take TC's. I can change them for free at a bank ($300 a day) they're insured, and I always take a thousand bucks in cash anyway (covered for two under insurance) so if somewhere won't take 'em I'll just use the Mulah. And anyway, I like counting my TC's. They also smell nice, unlike cards which smell of Plastic. You don't hear about that on comparison websites do you? No.
    No further questions: Case for the prosecution rests M'lud.

I'm another one for fee free credit cards. You get the inter-bank exchange rate and are as convenient as it gets.

I used to have a pre-paid card and it was fine while I was using it, but they changed the terms and conditions and wanted an annual fee. Then, when I called to cancel the card, they wanted a fee for that too! A stroppy letter later and they agreed to close my account for the remaining balance on it (about $8). On top of all that, I always thought their exchange rate was rubbish, even though it was among the best of it's type.

And anyway, I like counting my TC's. They also smell nice, unlike cards which smell of Plastic. You don't hear about that on comparison websites do you? No.
    That did make me laugh out loud
    Dave.