Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning rental car with Alamo with a full tank?

Florida Junior

Returning rental car with Alamo with a full tank?

Hi

Just a quick question, I have taken out the Silver Inclusive package with Alamo with US Carhire and know that I can return the vehicle with a full tank of fuel and decline to pre pay etc but wondered if they will know this when I collect my car or do I have to ensure I tell them I will be bringing it back full or they will charge me for the fuel when I drop it off?

Cheers
    Lee

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    When you collect the car tell them you want to bring it back with a full tank of gas, they will probably tell you that their gas prices are cheaper and you would be better to pay them for gas and take it back empty. Just tell them 'no thanks I will bring it back full' and you should have no problems, we do it all the time.
    Lyn

Florida Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    When you collect the car tell them you want to bring it back with a full tank of gas, they will probably tell you that their gas prices are cheaper and you would be better to pay them for gas and take it back empty. Just tell them 'no thanks I will bring it back full' and you should have no problems, we do it all the time.
    Thanks Lyn, I will ensure I tell them. Do you tend to go straight to the garage with your booking details or to the desk first, I keep reading conflicting views on what to do?

The last time we used the silver option with Alamo they offered us the choice of prepaying for a full tank in advance, at a "reduced" price on the basis that the price they charge at the time you return the car would be higher, so you could return the car empty if you had prepaid. The problem with that approach is that you pay for a full tank, but you can never return it completely empty, so it's not quite as good a deal as made out.
    Tonish

I have so far always gone to the desk, never straight to the garage, but have registered for the Alamo Insiders program so hope to go straight to the garage in October.
    Lyn

Florida Newbie
    Can you use the Alamo Insiders program and still rent the car through US Car Hire, or are they not compatible?
    David

Florida Junior
    I hired with US car hire then went to the Alamo website and joined. I then put in my ref number from US Car hire and then when they confirmed the booking I added my credit/debit card details and the driving Licence details of those who were driving. Alamo then give you a booking number which you print off and take to the garage exit having selected a car of your classification. The person at the exit will take your driving licences and credit/card together with booking number and having checked will return. Then your on your way. Simples........
    With regards the petrol situation. Petrol is a lot cheaper in the US than over here. I always go for the "Bring it back empty" option. It's all very well talking about it before you go.......but just fast forward to leaving day..........not very happy.....long flight to look forward too......lots more luggage than you took......hot ....hot ...hot.....now we have to look for a petrol station to fill the car up......on arrival at airport ....worry .....is the petrol tank full still or have I got to pay additional extortionate price! Most of the cars now have a programme that tells you how many miles are available with the contents of the petrol tank. Just put in $10 of fuel the night before you leave (if it needs it) that will get you to the airport no problems.........and no arguments. This is advice through experience!!!!Ha Ha

Most recently I opted to return the car full - had a real fright at the pump, when I was charged $97 to refuel at the Sunoco (sp?) near the airport.

As I left, I looked at the price and noticed it was over a dollar more expensive than anywhere else I used.

... Returning empty looks better all the time!

We always fill up at the Race Trac near Boggy Creek Road, and it still shows full when we get to the airport. The price is always the same as anywhere. There is also a Hess further along the journey that is not that expensive.
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    We just returned but paid for a full tank, did not want to worry about finding a petrol station to save just a few pennies. I find they don't charge much more than filling yourself and it's hassle free. We just had under a quarter and put $5 for airport
    Jan&Steve