Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Anyone had any problems with car hire overcharges?

Anyone had any problems with car hire overcharges?

There is a looong thread on Alamo fb page and linking to another forum on someone who was overcharged for an upgrade that they did not want. They were charged $1400 for upgrades. Not sure what kind of car they ended up with for that price!!!

We have never had any problems with carhire either from booking via here or any where else.
    Has any of you had trouble with pushiness on holiday?

Kirsty

I find most car hire counters can be pushy to sell an upgrade. I always book the size of vehicle I need. No one is going to get a $1400 upgrade charge without signing a contract. Upgrading at the counter is most definately the most expensive way of doing things.

Never had any problems when booked through this site...always get what I paid for and never had any "hard sell". As Martin siad just book the size to suit your group

It's one of those posts which made me a bit sceptical as to whether they were telling full story . You know roughly the car size etc you are going to get. Not sure what they drove off with in the end. Surely if it was a big beastie then you'd go back in and question it?? They weren't first time travellers either. You order a mini and they offer a land rover you wouldn't take it surely?? Thankfully as I said before I've never had a problem. The only woman who ever tried lost the fight!!

The one time we felt 'fleeced' was when we were stuck in Florida for an extra week due to the ash cloud ( we were so unhappy to have an extra weeks holiday - not. We were fortunate in hearing very early about the problem and contacting our airline quickly. We were not due to fly home for a few days but could foresee problems. They offered us new flights a week after our booked flights at no extra cost and so we took the offer quickly before everyone else did. That meant we had confirmed flights - so no waiting around at the airport on standby. We had a few extra days at our villa and then heard from our guests that they were at Gatwick and getting on a flight out, so we had to get out of the villa quickly. We went down to Marco Island for a few days and had a great time.) Any way - back to the car hire. We contacted them and asked for an extra week - yep, that would be fine, but when we took the car back they charged us more than double the rate we had paid for the pre-booked period as they said the price we had paid for the first two weeks was a 'special deal'. I just think they were taking advantage of the situation, but what could we do ?
    I have to say how helpful the parks were at the time, giving free days to UK visitors stuck because of the ash.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Just in case anybody else is 'unlucky' enough to get 'stuck'!!
    We had to extend our stay because of the ash cloud but contacted Roger & Roulla at US car hire and managed to get another car at the same great rate as we'd already paid, as always they were so helpful.
    Caroline & Dave

Quote Originally Posted by caroline View Post
    Just in case anybody else is 'unlucky' enough to get 'stuck'!!
    We had to extend our stay because of the ash cloud but contacted Roger & Roulla at US car hire and managed to get another car at the same great rate as we'd already paid, as always they were so helpful.
    same if you are stuck on the way out, as happened to us last february when a big snowstorm delayed our flight to the US: I emailed Roulla in the middle of the night to say we'd be one day late (and that we now wanted a big 4x4 SUV to drive in the snow) and she arranged everything, it ended up being the same price with one day less but a bigger car. I wouldn't hire anywhere else and wish they'd do other countries as well!