Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: International Driving Permit

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    Hi Dave......

No my headlamps are LED (£1260 option) "not" xenon, worth every penny.........they are absolutely superb............ They put even xenon lights into the shade, (sorry for the pun)

On my last car they were "steered" xenon's I needed 2 replacement's £140 each.......ouch........

I fitted them myself, actually very simple, took all of 5 minutes. No doubt that would translate to another £100 for the dealer to fit[:O][:O] So (possibly) £380 + VAT for 2 bulbs to be fitted.....

Having said that I dread to think what an LED headlight replacement would cost[msnoo][msnoo]
    mike

Can we perhaps stick to the threads title...the past few pages have nothing to do with the IDP. I came here to check the status on the IDP and it's all about cars and lights etc.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Threads often go off at a tangent after the initial responses but the latest info we have is that at the moment nothing has changed in that
    a) it's still in the Florida Statues as a requirement
    b) Some law enforcement agencies have said they have "suspended" enforcement of it pending clarification but not all Counties will necessarily be doing the same
    c) It is highly unlikely that the due process needed to revoke/rescind the Statute will have been completed before July.

My personal opinion is that for the sake of £10 if you are travelling anytime before August it makes sense to get one. (As we have done for our April trip. Although it is an inconvenience it will be much easier in the unfortunate event of an accident. We had someone drive into the back of us a couple of years ago and the Sherriff who attended was very thorough checking ours and the other drivers (who was totally at fault for the accident) paperwork.
    Babblin Boo

Well, actually it costs more to get a IDP here in Norway..if it was a £5.50 like I have read on various threads regarding this then wouldn't be a big deal but over £30...for 3 drivers..a bit pricey. We go next month and just going to leave it be...

Florida Expert
    £5.50 is for each driver and that is from a nominated Post Office that may be miles away hence most people are paying £8.50 to get them from AA/RAC - so total cost is not far short of your £30 for three drivers.
    Clare R

The Canadians are the ones most affected in terms of cost and numbers of visitors. A large number of these, ie from Quebec, will have driving licenses in French. The intention of the law was to have licenses in English for ease of checking by the authorities, but the result of any repeal/amendment of the law will be to allow for a driving license in other languages. Not what was originally intended. A good result!

The speed with which the various Bills have sped through both House and Senate suggests that we might know on Wednesday either that it is lawful to drive in Florida without an IDP or when it will be lawful. On Friday the relevant bills were forwarded to House and Senate for a vote. They both meet on Tuesday and it is on the House Agenda but not on the Senate Agenda. This might change.

If passed the Governor has said he will sign the bill into law as soon as it hits his desk.

John
    Last edited by janny; 10-03-2013 at 08:16.

Florida Expert
    OMG does that mean I will need to get one before the 21st March? I can't even find a post office near us that does it. According to the PO site, Uxbridge should do them but after waiting in the line for 45 minutes, I was told they don't do them! If anyone can help me find where I can get them near a UB7 postcode it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen
    KJH

Hi Karen,
    We live about 15 miles from the nearest PO that issues IDPs & as we both would have had to present ourselves + a 30 mile round journey, decided that the postal option far less hastle...
    Both the RAC or AA only add £2.50 per permit. We applied via the RAC & our permits arrived within 3 days !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KJH View Post
    OMG does that mean I will need to get one before the 21st March? I can't even find a post office near us that does it. According to the PO site, Uxbridge should do them but after waiting in the line for 45 minutes, I was told they don't do them! If anyone can help me find where I can get them near a UB7 postcode it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen
    I am afraid so Karen. It is not worth the worry and as Martin and Sue point out, the postal applications are being dealt with quickly.

John

Looks like common sense has prevailed

http://www.globalnews.ca/florida+rep...944/story.html

Dave