Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Driving License Question

UK Driving License Question

I apologise in advance if this question has already been asked.
    I will soon visit Florida and plan on hiring a car for a few weeks. I am in possesion of a full UK driving license but my problem is that the photo card part of the license has expired even though the license itself is valid for another thirty years or so. I am resident overseas and I no longer have a UK address and for that reason the DVLA refuse to renew the photo card part of the license.

Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to rent a car with a full UK license and expired photo card or is this not possible....I may have to revert to plan B and let my wife do all the driving if my license is not accepted.

Thanks in advance

Administrator
    I'm afraid this will be a problem. The photo part of the license is the part they will want to see, and if expired then they wont let you take the car. If you were to get away with only showing the paper part, you could end up with serious problems with insurance if you were to get in to an accident (even if officially your license is still valid, the inurance companies will do anything they can to get out of a claim).

Gold 5 Star Member
    Can you not use the license from whichever Country you are resident overseas in? Usually if you have a valid drivers license for a Country then that will be accepted by car hire company.
    Babblin Boo

Administrator
    As Steph says above, that is a good option. If not in the English language though you should obtain an International Drivers Permit to show on collection of the car. These are usually easily obtainable through your licensing agency.

Florida Chatterbox
    My licence does not have a photo part just a paper one. This is ok I take it

Quote Originally Posted by vickk View Post
    My licence does not have a photo part just a paper one. This is ok I take it
    I have only ever had a paper licence and that has always been O.K. The last time was Oct 11. Your passport will do for I.D.

Keith

I take that is the old style license. The new ones have a paper part and Photocard, the agents will know this and ask for the photo card. Plus there is the insurance issue.

Quote Originally Posted by syrup View Post
    I have only ever had a paper licence and that has always been O.K. The last time was Oct 11. Your passport will do for I.D.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    I take that is the old style license. The new ones have a paper part and Photocard, the agents will know this and ask for the photo card. Plus there is the insurance issue.
    Sorry not to make it clear. Yes it is the old style licence before the paper/photo-card licences came into effect, which I believe was 1998. So anyone with a licence issued prior to that should be o.k. with their passport as I.D. I'm pretty sure that is correct.

Keith

Administrator
    Yes, I confirm if you still have the old style paper-only license that is absolutely fine. Just show your passport as photo ID.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Yes, I confirm if you still have the old style paper-only license that is absolutely fine. Just show your passport as photo ID.
    I must have rented going on for 100 times with my old style licence and, while I always have my passport with me, I don't recall ever having been asked for photo ID.

Of course, if I ever didn't happen to have it that would be the time they'd want it!!