Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Sun pass

Florida Savvy

Sun pass

We visiting florida in january and my bro-inlaw has said he'll lend me his sunpass for the drive down turnpike to miami...
    My question is when i drive past the first toll even with the his sun pass will it still trigger the hire car to then charge me $2 dollar plus a day even if i dont use the tolls?
    If it does ill be using the i95 instead....lol

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by drino View Post
    We visiting florida in january and my bro-inlaw has said he'll lend me his sunpass for the drive down turnpike to miami...
    My question is when i drive past the first toll even with the his sun pass will it still trigger the hire car to then charge me $2 dollar plus a day even if i dont use the tolls?
    If it does ill be using the i95 instead....lol
    It should not. As soon as you go through a toll it should recognise the transponder and the tolls will be charged to the Sun Pass account associated with the transponder.

Just to be certain I usually go through the "pay" lane at the first toll booth I encounter to see that my transponder is working after being 6 months dormant and get the green light. It always is and the toll booth operator usually gives me a smile or a wave when I go through without paying the toll and they see my transponder.

wrpac00
    You need to tell the car hire people that you will not be using their toll pass otherwise you will probably be charged.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by wrpac00 View Post
    You need to tell the car hire people that you will not be using their toll pass otherwise you will probably be charged.
    Thought if you have a transponder it ignores the car hire people. Not sure if there is anything in the car but thought it worked on number plate recognition rather than an electronic device but may be wrong.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Out of curiosity - on a single journey to Miami what does the toll cost?

Florida Newbie
    This may help - most of the fleets now have some sort of contract with the Sunpass people be it number plate recognition or transponders.

Budget have transponders which are placed in the windscreen of the car and are removeable (there is also a lever to switch it off but for sake of putting your own on you will need to remove it).

I have my own transponder and as you can imagine the journey from the airport to the house is always done without notifying Sunpass of the vehicle registration or car details, however once I get to the house I usually log into the account and let them know the details, this way I can also check it has picked my car up.

However on a recent trip it had picked up the toll by the airport but had missed the toll at Celebration - so I emailed them and this is part of the response I was given

"Please be advised, if your account has the current vehicle description including tag number, at the time of the missed toll, the SunPass system will I-toll your account. I-Toll stands for image tolling, which means if your transponder does not pay the toll, a picture of your vehicles tag number is captured. With the vehicle tag number we are able to locate your SunPass account and deduct the toll amount that was missed, as long as the start date and time on the vehicle page is prior to the missed tolling event. This process takes from 3 to 14 days. "

So if your transponder does not work, and you have updated your account it will do it from the photo. And I have to say within a couple of days the toll was in place and deducted from my account.

I have never (fingers crossed) had any problems with the transponder and I have to say it is one of the best investments of $25 I have made as it allows us to sail through the toll gates and not have to worry about having lots of quarters.
    ------------------------

I am mad - just mad.