Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Heathrow - Tampa via Toronto with Air Canada

Florida Junior

Heathrow - Tampa via Toronto with Air Canada

Hi all,

We're back at the planning stage again and looking at going the above route next Easter as direct flights are getting silly money now (and hardly any left for Easter!).

What we are looking at doing is leaving LHR at 6.00pm arriving in Toronto at 9.00pm, an over night stay in Toronto (rather than night before in UK as we usually do) and then on down to TPA the next morning.

Anyone done this? Can you leave the airport to go to a hotel or do they (as someone at work told me) keep you in a holding area before your connecting flight and have to sleep in the airport (don't fancy that!!)?

Thanks

Sean

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    We did a similar thing last Christmas but via Newark - went to a cheap airport hotel for about 5hrs.
    Christine

Florida Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by christhear View Post
    We did a similar thing last Christmas but via Newark - went to a cheap airport hotel for about 5hrs.
    Thanks for the feedback Christine.

Did you collect your luggage in between flights?

I'm guessing (and hoping too!) I will pass through imigration in Toronto, go with hand luggage to the Sheraton (connected to the airport), have a good night's sleep and get up next day to fly down to Tampa all refreshed (unlikely!!).

Has anyone actually done this through Toronto?? Am I thinking along the right lines with the above??

Thanks

Sean

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    As we landed in the US we had to collect all luggage and go through immigration - not sure what will happen as you are actually landing n Canada. Hopefully someone will see this thread that has done this and let you know.
    Christine

As you propose to spend a night in a Toronto hotel, you will have to pass through Canadian customs and immigration to enter Canada.
    If you then leave Canada & enter the U.S. you will again go through customs & immigration when you land in the U.S.
    If you stay 'airside' in Toronto airport for a connecting flight to U.S. , you won't pass through Canadian customs or immigration !!!
    Regretfully, 2 entirely separate countries.......

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you're making a saving by stopping over in Canada then it might be worth the trouble of clearing Immigration twice but it would have to be pretty significant for me to do that although I think you might be able to clear US Immigration on departure the next day in Canada in these circumstances.

Also bear in mind that you'll need to make sure you have some Canadian dollars to cover incidental expenses while you're there.

I assume that there isn't a similar stopover on the return leg so that should be easier.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 29-09-2011 at 17:53.

Florida Junior

Wink Back to the drawing board (or Keyboard!)

Thanks all for your help... and thanks for talking me out of it!!!

Found a better route now and only slightly dearer (LHR - MIA via Boston)

Thanks again

Sean

Florida Junior
    Should have booked when I had the chance!!!

Been very busy so didn't book. Went to book now and all the flights I was looking at have gone up by about £500!!!

I remember someone telling me once that booking your flights over a weekend is more expensive - but I never believed them. Is there any truth in this??

If they've already all gone up I may have to look at the overnight stay in Canada again as this represents (now) a saving of almost £700.

So, is it true regarding the pricing??

Thanks

Sean

Gold 5 Star Member
    Out of interest, what dates are you travelling?

I have heard the theory about when to book flights and it's certainly true that fares for midweek flights are cheaper than weekends but I've never found it to be the case that when you book makes any difference. Even if it is true, I'd be very surprised if the savings amounted to very much.

Florida Junior
    Easter school holidays 31/03 for 14 nights.

A couple of the flights we were looking at have gone up by £512 and another by £394!!

Sean