Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: pre-paid credit cards

Florida Newbie

pre-paid credit cards

Hi all.
    Not sure if i've made a huge mistake or not. We're off to DW in Oct for the first time & after reading lots of posts on this site, I thought i'd purchase a "Pre-paid Post Office Credit Card" to take, instead of all cash/travellers cheques for ease of use & security. But a friend told me that although the Pre-paid PO credit cards are VISA, they are not really accepted in all the parks unless the outlet shows "Visa Electron accepted" signs. So basically, have I just put most of my hol money on to a card that isn't really accepted anywhere in the parks. If that's the case, what should i do. Obviuosly if most restaurants/shops/ most shows accept the PPPO credit card then that's great. If not..am i doomed!And can i use them in the park's ATM's to withdraw cash. Afterall, that's what i got this card for.
    Hope you can help.
    Thank you.

You may have problems if it is an electron card. I would check first.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Gtyler
    Hi all.
    Not sure if i've made a huge mistake or not. We're off to DW in Oct for the first time & after reading lots of posts on this site, I thought i'd purchase a "Pre-paid Post Office Credit Card" to take, instead of all cash/travellers cheques for ease of use & security. But a friend told me that although the Pre-paid PO credit cards are VISA, they are not really accepted in all the parks unless the outlet shows "Visa Electron accepted" signs. So basically, have I just put most of my hol money on to a card that isn't really accepted anywhere in the parks. If that's the case, what should i do. Obviuosly if most restaurants/shops/ most shows accept the PPPO credit card then that's great. If not..am i doomed!And can i use them in the park's ATM's to withdraw cash. Afterall, that's what i got this card for.
    Hope you can help.
    Thank you.
    [/quote]

A friend had one of these cards on a recent trip and the only problem I am aware of was when she tried to withdraw cash from an ATM. It would only let her withdraw a set amount per day, which wasn't an issue, but it meant she was charged for each transaction.
    I believe it was always treated as a credit (not debit) card, each time she used it.
    Shirley

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    There is nothing on the PO web site to suggest that this is Visa Electron just Visa. Does your card say Visa Electron? If it just says Visa then use it in the normal way as a visa credit card.

Florida Newbie
    Hi.
    I've just checked the PO site too, and it does say "VISA electron" as you will see, they emphasise the VISA bit and small print electron. It sounds as if withdrawing cash from ATM's is okay for a charge which is fine. It's just i thought the card would be a safer way to have money on me instead of pockets full of cash. Does anyone else recommend a pre-paid credit card using Visa ELECTRON, or should I steer well clear?
    Many thanks. Gtyler.

Florida Expert
    So what do you do for cash (apart from taking loads with you)? We have used TC before, used them like cash, then had the change to keep our cash topped up without taking too much cash with us. Then we have CC for big purchases like first shop when we get there. Try not to have too much on there as we don't like the bill when we get back otherwise!

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone
    Hi
    Tried to use my post office pre paid card in Sears back in April and
    they would'nt accept it. Then at home i mailed ordered an item
    from a Florida based company and they did'nt accept it.
    Went back to post office to get my money back and they did'nt
    want to know.
    IS IT ME ? [msneek]
    Tony