Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: buggy boards

Florida Newbie

buggy boards

Hi.
    I'm taking our own buggy for our 3 year old in October and it has a buggy-board which attaches to the rear of the buggy for our 6 yr old to stand on too. Is it a good idea to take the buggy-board with us as well or should we hire another buggy for her, or not bother with the second buggy at all. Your experience will be greatly received. Thank you.
    Also, can i get away with 2 booster car seats for my 3 & 6 year old. By booster seats, i mean the type we use in UK where you sit on them and the car's seat belt clips in as usual thus restraining the child's lap and across their shoulders. Please advise too if poss. Much appreciarted. Gtyler

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I would definitely bother with a second buggy but would investigate buying one from Walmart rather than hire as it can work out cheaper and you have it with you all the time not just in the parks-a buggy board won't allow your little one to sleep and we found that we preferred the "security" of having them fastened in when we were in ,or leaving a busy park.
    I would also recommend taking your own booster seats-the UK ones will be fine.

Super Moderator
    You do not say where you are staying but some villa owners provide items such as buggies, so although it might be a good idea to take your own from the UK for the youngest you might not need to bother with the buggy board or hiring/buying one when in Florida.

Florida Junior
    Re booster seats - our 4 year old was in a booster in the UK but we had to follow the rental rules which meant he had to use a 5 point harness seat and couldn't use the booster. I should check with someone about the age in case its changed.

The luggage allowances were better back then which meant we could put the seat in the hold.

I am sure you can rent a seat through the car hire although this could be expensive and it might be worth working out if you can your bring your own or buy one when in the US.

I remember there being a sign in the Alamo office about this. Perhaps check with your rental company. I think the law could be different for your own car not a rental but best check so you don't get fined!

have a good trip

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think you can still check your own car seat in even though the luggage allowance is lower (not sure about charter airlines though).

Buying your own is a good idea but doesnt really work because you need to have the child in a proper seat to leave the airport.

Using you own is a much better idea if you can because you know it's appropriate for their size and weight, you are familiar with the fitting of it and your child should feel comfortable using it. More importantly you know the history of the seat and know it hasnt been involved in accidents etc that may have weakened it and also that it will be as you clean as you keep it.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by noodler
    Re booster seats - our 4 year old was in a booster in the UK but we had to follow the rental rules which meant he had to use a 5 point harness seat and couldn't use the booster. I should check with someone about the age in case its changed.
    [/quote]I was under the impression that the rules for booster seats in Florida weren't as strict as in the UK?

First time we hired a horrible car seat and then after that we've always took our own and last time took a booster seat for the 2 year old and nothing for the 6 year old as thats what they use at home.

Super Moderator
    The rules for child car seat restraints vary from State to State and Florida is nearer to the bottom than the top for child car safety so I would recommend taking your own seats and then you will know your children are adequately protected and will probably be more comfortable in their own seats.

Florida Junior
    Just got this off website for Broward County Sheriff. http://www.sheriff.org/safety/carseat.cfm

but as in my earlier post, please check the rules with the car hire company because Alamo said my son had to had a seat with harness...

Child Car Seat Requirements
    Florida law requires children under 5 years of age to be properly restrained no matter where they are seated in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier (child safety seat) or in a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat.

Infants must ride rear-facing until they are at least one year old and weigh 20 pounds or more. Rear-facing, the infant should be semi-upright at an angle or no more than 45 degrees. A forward-facing older child should ride sitting upright.

Never place a child in a child safety seat in the front seat of a vehicle equipped with a passenger air bag. Always use the back seat.

Violation of the child restraint law carries a fine of $60 and 3 points on the driving record.

Gold 5 Star Member
    And I know they do monitor the use as well as when we were bumped last Christmas the driver , as well as citations for careless driving and not producing insurance also got a ticket for having a child unrestrained in the car/truck.

"First time we hired a horrible car seat and then after that we've always took our own and last time took a booster seat for the 2 year old and nothing for the 6 year old as thats what they use at home."

It was only a few years ago that it was changed in the UK so that anyone under 12 or under a certain height had use a booster seat, wasnt it?
    Babblin Boo