Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: relocating to florida

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caramel
    hi steph,
    thanks for your reply. my husbands sister is a us citizen and a green card holder and has lived in the us for 40yrs. my husband also lived in the us from the age of 11 to 19, and attended school. he was at that time on his mothers visa. she returned to turkey for a holiday and my husband, then aged 19 went along with her. the only reason he is not back in the us now is because on their return to the us the turkish authorities would not issue him with a visa because he hadn't done his national service! so unfortunatly for him he had to remain in turkey while his mother, a green card holder, returned to the states. his sister has since applied for 2 other sisters to live in the us and both are there now and have green cards. we are hoping that because he lived there before this may make his case more favourable?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
    I am not sure wht relationship to the relative who may be spnsoring you but looking at this, if it is a brother or sister it is a long way down the list of preferences so there could be a long wait. The sponsor also has to prove they have enough funds to support you if necessary.

Green Card through Relatives
    (Family Based Immigration)
    Immigration through a family member who is a U.S. citizen or a green card holder is one of the most generally accepted ways of obtaining American residence.

Green card can be obtained upon the approval of the immigrant visa or by the adjustment of status (AOS) through an immigration application made inside the United States. It can be obtained through:

green card lottery;
    the sponsorship of a relative who is a U.S. citizen or holds green card;
    the offer of a permanent employment by a U.S. employer (see employment-based immigrant visas);
    the sponsorship of a U.S. religious organization; and
    investing one million dollars or more which creates job opportunities for Americans.
    Green Card from Relatives

Who qualifies for a Green Card through Relatives?

In order to qualify for a green card through relative, you must have a close relative, who must be a U.S. citizen/green card holder. The relatives must prove that they can support you by providing documentation that their income is 125% above the mandated poverty line for their family, including you and all other sponsored family members.

How to apply for immigration through relative?

To apply for a green card under the family-based preference category, first submit a visa petition (Form I-130) to the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) is a form that a LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident) or a citizen may file with the USCIS to establish a relationship with an alien relative who wishes to immigrate to the United States. Form I-130 should be filed along with Form G-325A (Biographic Information Immigration Form).

Foreign nationals can immigrate to the U.S. through one of the following family-based preference categories:

First preference: Unmarried sons and daughters over 21 years of age, of US citizens.
    Second preference: Spouses and unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents.
    Third preference: Married sons and daughters of US citizens.
    Fourth preference: Brothers and sisters of United States citizens.

In order to sponsor a relative, one must meet the following criteria:

Sponsoring person must be a US citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the USA and should be able to submit documentation proving your status.
    If you are a US Citizen, you can file petition for following relatives, as long as you can prove the relationships:

Husband or wife (see green card through marriage)
    Unmarried child under 21 years old;
    Parent, if you are at least 21 years old;
    Unmarried son or daughter over 21 years old;
    Married son or daughter of any age;
    Brother or sis
    Julie

Florida Chatterbox
    how long is a sponsorship by a dad, to a married son over 21?

Florida Newbie
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ukman
    caramel hi, how old were the two sister who moved to the states and consequently got their green cards as I know that is very difficult and the wait time is still long, if you are over 21 years old. This US visa system is a very difficult and complex system.
    [/quote]hi, thanks for your comments. my husband's sister married a us citizen then sponsored 2 other sisters, who have both lived there over 10 years. the immigration rules may have changed since they moved there.

Gold 5 Star Member
    how long is a sponsorship by a dad, to a married son over 21?[/quote]Assume the dad is a US citizen?? Depends on the USCIS service center dealing with the application. Processing times vary for example California service center is doing applications from 2002 and Vermont from July 2007. So a lot depends on areas of the country.
    Julie

Florida Chatterbox
    can one choose their own service center, or is it based on where the citizen leaves or work, because like esprit mentioned vermont has a shorter processing timeframe, 2007.

Thanks

Gold 5 Star Member
    can one choose their own service center, or is it based on where the citizen leaves or work, because like esprit mentioned vermont has a shorter processing timeframe, 2007.

Thanks[/quote]All 1-130 petitions are filed to a USCIS address in Chicago. USCIS then routes the petition to the appropriate service center. Where depends on where the petitioner lives.
    Julie