Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: id love to live in florida

Gold 5 Star Member
    Its not easy here and its going to get a lot harder..we are looking at moving country after taking American citizenship..can't say we can afford to live here for more than another 2 years..

Gold 5 Star Member
    Us too, Chrizzy. There is no safety net at all here. Like you I do lots of immigration forums, and Brit expats are going home all over, a lot of them broke.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have some what of a safety net..but with all the new globe warming taxes and healthcare taxes you'll end up with only enough money to pay bills and nothing else..if we stay we will downsize and spend a few years traveling around the country..then take part time jobs to get by..I think the so called middle class American is a dying breed...so its back to the biker life for us..we have enough stuff to last us a life time as it is..I'm
    a bit fed up with this working and wondering how long a job will last..its time to leave the rat race I think..I would of left already if not for my Grandson...

Florida Expert
    I took citizenship back in 1994. I'm glad that I did, only to avoid renewing my greencard every ten years. And I get to vote. I complain enough about our government!
    I have a safety net, but it's nowhere as big as I planned. I can blame the market crash back in 2002 for that one. I guess I'll be working after I retire from my job as a pilot.
    I'm not sure where we'll retire to. Maybe out west. I love Washington and Oregon. Or Idaho maybe. Boise, if you've never been, is a lovely city nestled in the foothills.

I can't belive a $7000 deductible! Mine is just a $20 co-pay. But when I retire I'll have to look around for something. We have a seven year old and he'll still be with us when I'm 60.

Interesting subject. I know many Europeans who have settled here. But I'v ealso seen alot come and return to Europe. Some broke.
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Gold 5 Star Member
    Whats retirement..I only want citizenship to leave and get back in to see family...if we stay I'll not bother..hubby may..we will hold on here just because of family..it will not be a case of leaving because we want to..just because we know when its time to leave..

I hope those looking to rent homes read this also -I sometimes feel that people think we have bought these cheap homes and make a killing- of course this is not the case, as you can see by this thread! OUr property taxes are enough to make you flake out alone! INsurance WOW -everything is very expensive, electricity, all utilities including the build in the first place- the "from" price isn't the 'actual price' and so on!
    I often think I should have got a caravan in Cornwall LOL
    However, the sunshine, the climate, the way of life and the lovely people along with the masses of things to do for all ages still make it the World no 1 destination and having travelled all over the USA,I cannot argue with that!

Gold 5 Star Member
    my number one to visit would be the parks as in Yellowstone etc..the climate is one of the things that nearly put us off of FL...summer wise the Cape in MA has more usable days in summer..we have little rain most years nice temps it humid for a while but most years its livable..this years rain as been unusual..4 weeks nearly none stop..America has some of the most beautiful places in the world to visit..I'm sad to say its easier to visit them while living in the UK than here..and I know many people who have moved here find the same problem with getting away for a break all for different reasons..I think we would of moved back to the UK had we lived in FL to start with..I do moan a lot about the cost of living where I live..but it is a place worth the fight to stay in.. not sure I would say the same about FL..my house and friends pull me back there..not a lot else

Administrator
    We have been here over 2 years and still love it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. The way of life is fantastic, people great, climate perfect (you do get used to the heat in the summer).

The cost of living is higher here compared to the UK, but we save more than that with the lower taxes, so overall are better off. There is no Federal Income tax in Florida, although in most other states there is.

We have been fortunate to get our kids in to some of the better schools, and recommend anyone coming to live here with kids do some research on the schools before choosing where to buy a house.

However, as said above, I wouldn't want to live here with little or no income. If we can afford to live here when we retire then I'm sure we will, if not then the UK is a better option.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Also Roger you have the advantage of Green card now and stability for as long as you can afford it which helps you enjoy the move more doesn't it? I wouldnt want to do it on a Visa where every 2-5 years depending on if the Visa is renewed you have to not only go through the whole process (and as I understand it even come back to the UK no for it) and if it is refused renewal then may not even be able to get back into the country to wind up your business.

Babblin Boo

Administrator
    That's a good point. I think had we stayed on our L1 that we came over on initially things might be different as there is a lot of stress involved with renewals, as well as the kids aging out.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
    Also Roger you have the advantage of Green card now and stability for as long as you can afford it which helps you enjoy the move more doesn't it? I wouldnt want to do it on a Visa where every 2-5 years depending on if the Visa is renewed you have to not only go through the whole process (and as I understand it even come back to the UK no for it) and if it is refused renewal then may not even be able to get back into the country to wind up your business.

[/quote]