Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claiming Tax back at the Airport

Florida Newbie

Claiming Tax back at the Airport

Hi, we have recently purchased some golf equip in Orlando and we have been told that we can claim the tax at the airport when we return to the UK. We return tomorrow via Sanford so if anyone knows what we need to do to claim the tax or advice, please let me know.

Florida Chatterbox
    I thought you could only do that if going to canada, in the UK they will charge you VAT on anything over 150 pounds.
    WR

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you mean Florida sales tax, then you can't claim that back. It's charged on an individual County basis (different counties mean different sales tax levels) and isn't refundable. I think there are only two States in the whole of the US that have the facility to claim sales tax back but it doesn't apply in Florida.

If the cost is over your UK duty free allowance, you'll be charged VAT and possibly duty also when returning to the UK.
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    thats right , if you declare them as being bought in Florida ,you could be charged a couple of hundred pounds depending on the value when you bought them .

Gold 5 Star Member
    It worked out around 22$ (vat and duty ) when we bought some tools back a couple of years ago.
    Babblin Boo

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by WR1
    I thought you could only do that if going to canada, in the UK they will charge you VAT on anything over 150 pounds.
    [/quote]
    you can no longer claim tax back in Canada[msnsad]

Everything changed in April of this year.[msncry]

Liz

Florida Newbie
    Thanks everyone. Julie

Florida Newbie
    A little tip I was told and have done is,any receipts for items purchesed in the US that you may want to keep stick in a envolope and post back to your home address whilst you are still in the US.

In anwser to BLOTT I do this for the same reason Nicseg does!

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jgrain
    A little tip I was told and have done is,any receipts for items purchesed in the US that you may want to keep stick in a envolope and post back to your home address whilst you are still in the US.
    [/quote]
    We have been doing this for years now

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jgrain
    A little tip I was told and have done is,any receipts for items purchesed in the US that you may want to keep stick in a envolope and post back to your home address whilst you are still in the US.[/quote]Can I ask why please?
    blott